National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) builds up 4 programmes of International Baccalaureate Educator Certificate (IBEC), preparing pre-service teachers for worldwide IB schools and enriching education quality in Taiwan. NTNU IBEC programmes are officially recognized by International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)
The four programmes aim to engage pre-service teachers to explore contemporary educational theories and IB education pedagogy, as well as to become reflective teachers capable of implementing all-around education through inquiry instruction. The four programmes' students (Students) are guided to familiarize with principles and practices of IB education by focusing on Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP). They are also expected to acquire both theoretical and practical sense of IB education, in order to develop their future students to be “inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people” and “active, compassionate and lifelong learners.”
- Brief admission procedure
- Qualification Requirements:
(1)Applicants have to be currently enrolled in NTNU and qualified for one of the following status.
a. who are in Teacher Education Programme (TEP), including middle school and Special Education Programme (SEP);
b. who have completed middle school, special education, or primary school TEP and obtained TEP certificates; or
c. who have obtained middle school, special education, or primary school Teacher Certificate
(2) Applicants also need to make sure they meet the other requirements as stated in the table below.
Programme Current Degree* Department Teacher Certificate Category Subject International Education Bachelor’s or higher Any Primary or middle school Chinese as Second Language Chinese Language Educatio General subject is preferred Any International Mathematics Education Any middle school Mathematics International Physics Education Any Physics
- Admission Quota
(1) International Education Programme (IEP): 60
(2) Chinese Language Education Programme (CLEP): 20
(3) International Mathematics Education Programme (IMEP): 20
(4) International Physics Education Programme (IPEP): 20
- The actual numbers of recruited students may be less and are subjected to change according to the number of applicants and operational needs.
- The total number of students in each programme shall not exceed more than 150% of the aforementioned quota.
|English proficiency||TOEIC 750
|Diploma in NTNU||Bachelor’s or above degree||Master’s degree or above in Dpt. of CSL||Bachelor’s degree or above||Master’s or above degree|
|Teacher Certificate||Primary school or middle school||middle school
|IB seminars or workshops||Attend IB seminars or workshops offered by the 4 programmes for 15 hours or more|
|IB teaching practicum||After obtaining the Programme Certificate and Teacher Certificate, IB Candidates are required to complete 2-month teaching practicum in IB world schools to be eligible for IBCTL.|
- Application form for program certificate
- Transcript of each semester, original copy
- Proof of English proficiency: shall be issued within two years before application date
- Seminar/workshop hour records: attendance records shall date within two years before application date
- Completion of the IB teaching practicum
- Programme Certificate
- Teacher Certificate (primary school or middle school as required)
- Degree certificate (Bachelor’s degree or above in NTNU is required for IEP and IMEP Students to apply for IBCTL. Master’s degree or above in NTNU’s Dep. of CSL is required for CLEP Students. Master’s degree or above in NTNU is required for IPEP Students)
*International Education Programme students have to submit Self-exploration Essay in addition.
- Application Fee:
USD$265 payable to IBO, the fee may varies from year to year.
Teacher's education in Taiwan has been highly recognized by the world, and with the rigorous Teacher's education, NTNU has been the leader of teacher's education in Taiwan. Since the establishment of College of Teacher Education in August 2017, the two programmes, International Education and Chinese Language Education in NTNU, was recommended by the consultant visitors of IB and later approved by IBO in January 2018, making NTNU the first educational institute for IB teacher education in Taiwan. Also, followed by the recognition of International Mathematics Education and International Physics Education by IBO in 2019, NTNU has now become the first university that offers four programmes of IB certificate in teaching and learning. Two Programmes of IB certificate in teaching and learning in NTNU can be found on the “IB Educator and Leadership Certificates University Directory 2019”, with International Education Programme focuses on MYP and Chinese Language Programme offers DP teacher education. And the other two programmes International Mathematics Programme (DP) and International Physics Programme (DP) will be listed in the “IB Educator and Leadership Certificates University Directory 2020”. To view the “IB Educator and Leadership Certificates University Directory 2019”, please visit the website below:https://www.ibo.org/professional-development/professional-certificates/